All about the things I see and the way I see things...

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My green thumb series...Cilantro

Its been more than a year since I posted anything on my blog. So I thought I would share some pictures of my little patio garden.

While I was growing up in Goa, we had a little patch of land around the house that we cultivated. We had flowering shrubs, herbs, fruits and even some vegetables. So this year, as winter was giving way to spring, I decided to take advantage of the beautiful California weather and start a container garden on my patio.

Fortunately, part of my patio gets good sunshine for almost 6 hours a day and part of it is always in the shade. Thus, I could choose from plants that required full sun, part shade or full shade. I started with buying a few types of seeds, peat pellets for germinating them, potting soil, teracotta pots, fertilizer, watering can and gardening gloves.

I had never sown seeds in a peat pellet before and the whole experience was very exciting. I started with cilantro since it is low maintenance and has a quick ROI. I sowed the seeds indoors in a little container made for the peat pellets. The seeds started sprouting in about 7-10 days of sowing. When the saplings were about 2 weeks old, I transplanted them to a herb box. Here are some pics courtesy Pravin :)

First sprouts
...Just sprouting



Just waking up...
...Waking up



Little sapling
...Little sapling



Cilantro
...First leaf



Cilantro
...Little plants



Cilantro
...Flourishing :)

4 comments:

Smitha said...

Awesome! I am impressed!

Photographer Pappu!!! said...

Finally they are on the blog :) BTW people, we have started consuming that cilantro :)

Sheetal Kanago said...

Thank you, Smitha

~Jonzie!! said...

Wow how did you buy time from your busy schedule to do all this. im sure you must be keeping an eye on it atleast a week and half. i did'nt see ant patio hobby in you when you were back then.

indeed a nice one!